Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

s348.4 and s348.5 files, what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronze55

MIS
Jul 9, 2004
US
Hi All,

I am writing because I recently found two files which puzzle me.

they are s348.4 (file type 4) and s348.5 (file type 5). they are both located on my c drive and are both huge 4 gigs. a good friend informed me that this is the largest size microsoft will allow to be written. My guess is that these are from malware but I can not find any information on the net to confirm. In addition I recently noticed that something is hidding 4 gigs of storage memory from me. My HD is 30 gigs (27g after os), i have about 700k remaining if i add up all my filed I only have about 23gigs accounted for.

has anyone come across a similar problem/application and what is the solution? I would prefer removing the application.

I am in the middle of a virus scan, ran a bunch of spywares.

thanks in advanced
ronze

I can't tell ytou what those files are, or what program makes them or creates them...

I would back them up to another partition and delete them from your C Partition and see if upon a reboot they get recreated or which program recreates them, and then repost it here, for general info...

about Drive space disappearing, well I got a similar case, that when I run certain progs (p2p, Rapidget, etc. ) then I loose 4 gigs on my C Partition aswell, until I reboot...

you may also do a HiJackThis Log and post it here for analysis where some of the best can discern it and tell you what else might need fixin', after you have done the AntiVirus/Mal/Spyware sweeps...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back