Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S-Video to USB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcop

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
I have an 8MM movie camera and want to be able to copy the movies directly to my computer. Is there a S-video to USB cable to do this or some software???

I doubt it. Even if you could, do you have drivers for your camera?

You need a video card capable of inputting S-video.

There wouldn't be because USB needs a digital signal. S-Video is considered analog. Therefore, you would need a capture card. You could find cheap ones for around $30-40 at however I recommend you get an all-around card that comes with the software.

Depending on how serious you are about quality and how much you want to spend, at least go with an ATI All-in-wonder card. I've got an ATI Vivo 64MB DDR card that came with capture software and cost me less than $100 a few months ago. You should be able to get it easily around $75 or less. Of course, this partcular card only has an RCA input, not S-Video. Others out there have both.

Matrox cards are more expensive and tailored to accomodate more experienced users. The RT.X10 model is around $500 on EBAY or Pricewatch and comes with a powerful tool, Adobe Premiere. It is meant for beginners, but is much more powerful than what you'll get with an ATI card. You can apply hundreds of different effects in Real-Time.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Check out the UVD-200. I just purchased one for $86.00.
This will capture s-video thru USB port.

Thanks mainframer. How is the quality of the movies? Can they be full screen without loosing any quality?

vtcop,
Keep in mind that even if there are USB peripherals out there that can transfer S-Video over USB, you're going to be limited in bandwidth if you're using USB 1.1. At only 12mbps, you can only transfer 1.5MB per second max. My digital camera takes like 30 seconds to transfer 12 pictures at that speed. For video, I couldn't imagine how long it would take. So, I doubt using your USB connection will be worth it.

Just my 2¢

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back