Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S-video and speaker hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveosmith

Programmer
Aug 30, 2008
US
My speakers work just fine, until I connect a cable from my s-video output jack to my TV. Then I get a terrible humming sound from the speakers. Very deep, lower than a 60Hz hum. Disconnect s-video cable and hum goes away.

I have a Dell Latitude laptop and am using the S-video adapter that Dell supplied with it.

Any suggested solutions greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Steve

Hum....S-Video doesn't transfer any kind of audio data through that output. I'm wondering if its a grounding issue. Do you have the laptop's power brink plugged in at the time when this happens? If you disconnect the power source, you get a different result?

A+, Network +, MCP, Security +

Yes, that sounds like an Earth (Ground) Loop. If possible, make sure everything is connected to the same power point. As already suggested, try using battery power. Check that Live and Neutral connections are correct way round.

Some would suggest isolating the earth connections - DON'T TRY IT unless you are CERTAIN that you know what you are doing - it could result in DEATH!!!

Regards
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back