Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S.O.S Need some help to reformat the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
To All,
I had virus with my PC, now i want to reformat the system but i don't know exactly what to do. Someone can help me step by step to re- setup the system please. Thanks ....

The only other consideration would be if it's a boot sector virus. I'm not sure if wiping out the partition will delete that sector as well. If it doesn't and you have a boot virus then your problems could return after reinstalling everything. If you think this could be a concern then contact your HD manufacturer for a zero-fill utility. That will wipe out everything, boot sector, partitions, etc and is a safe operation to perform. Good luck. Justin

Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

"3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population."

Boot from floppy. Run fdisk. Delete all partitions. reboot and rerun fdisk /mbr. reboot and rerun fdisk and create your partitions. reboot and format c: /s.
This will get you to DOS with a clean hard drive.
Do you have any other stuff available, unimportant stuff like a boot disk with CD support? If you don't you may have a little problem getting your operating system loaded. But then you might have a machine that will boot from a CD. That will make it easier. Or how about a recovery CD from the manufacturer?
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back