Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S.M.A.R.T. Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasKelsey

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2002
US
Is or has anyone successfully implemented any Self Reporting Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) solutions for a Windows 2000 network? Most current drives are capable, many ship with these features switched off by default (now THAT makes sense), and manufacturers seem remisse to provide solutions for the technologies they spent money on to build into their products in the first place.

I'm not spending $25g for an overkill product that does way too much; I just want an alert when a drive's SMART stats of types I specify slip out of tolerances I set. However, Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital...they all scratch their heads when I ask for suggestions on what works well.

Plenty of products exist for the home user. Most drives that have the feature turned on only report a problem from a drastically watered down battery of tests at POST only, and do not provide for any ongoing diagnostics to run silently while the OS is up and running. Since in the real world most users scoff at passwords and avoid reboots for fear of the end of the world, it would seem easier to find a remotely deployable solution that embeds itself quietly and notifies me of impending doom preemptively.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on solutions to consider or avoid I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot...
Dallas S. Kelsey, III
DKelsey@CHGLaw.com
Cox, Hodgman, & Giarmarco, P.C.
Troy MI 48084

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back