Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S.M.A.R.T. capable but disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I have an old(ish?) ML370 G1 that is used as a humble file server. It was recently upgraded from 4 * 18.2GB 10K hot-plug SCSI SCA drives to 4 * 72.8GB 10K. The system drive is still 2 * 18.2GB 10K drives but this just has Windows 2003 on it. Please no replies asking why I am still running this server, I just am accept it....
It now has a 218GB RAID5 array that has replaced the old 54.6GB one - All good. One thing I noticed though is the drives aren't officially Compaq/HP ones, they are all Seagate ST373307LC drives. If I run Array Diagnostics it reports all 4 of the new drives as 'not stamped for monitoring'. Additionally two of the drives report 'S.M.A.R.T. capable and enabled' whilst the other two report 'S.M.A.R.T. capable and disabled'.

Is this anything to worry about? Is there any way to fix the two errors? The array has been working fine for a couple of months.

Thanks

Andy

Do you have a firmware .iso (I think 7.9 is the latest)?

Burt

I have but none of the drives are 'officially' Compaq/HP drives. The firmware on the ML370 is the latest, as is the firmware on the Smart RAID controller.

I was thinking maybe there was a way to enable S.M.A.R.T. with some low-level utility or something?

Andy

I'm not sure...just testing utilities and RAID config utilities for 5i and 6i at POST...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back