Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RV325: Accessing LAN and WAN resources using the same hostname ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdom

MIS
Oct 5, 2005
US
Hi everyone:

We have a Cisco RV325 router, and I'm trying to see if I can simplify some of our apps where we connect to them internally and from the WAN. What I'd like to do is to use the same hostnames and ports internally as we do externally so we don't have to keep changing from internal IP to WAN hostname depending on whether or not we're on campus or off.

We use a dynamic DNS host (I'll use host.dyndns.org for this example).

We have an access system that we want to get access to by using host.dyndns.org:3333 from the WAN. I'd like this same address to be used to access the system on the LAN as well.

I went into port address translation, and directed UDP/TCP port 3333 to the correct internal IP address (192.168.1.70)

I then went into Local DNS Database and added host.dyndns.org and pointed it to 192.168.1.70

It worked. I can now access the needed system using the same hostname and port as we would for a WAN connection on the LAN.

The problem I'm having is figuring out how to do this with other applications. Let's say that I have a Remote Desktop Connection listening on a LAN IP address (192.168.1.50) and port 4444. I would access the PC from the WAN using host.dyndns.org:4444 I want to access the machine on the LAN using the same hostname and port.

I can go into PAT and assign port 4444 to that IP (192.168.1.50).

When I go into the DNS Local Database, however, I don't know what to put it in now, as my DDNS hostname is being used by the example above. We've only got one hostname, but we access several different things using the designated port numbers.

Is this only going to work with one example, or is there a way I can make this work another way?

It would be great if the DNS Local Database would allow me to enter in a host name AND port number, but it won't let me do that. I can always modify the local pc's hostfile, but for the sake of simplicity, I'm trying to do this via the router. Any help/guidance would be gratefully appreciated. I hope I explained this clearly enough. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back