Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RV042, RV082, RV016 do you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuthemagician

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2003
US
If you are using one of these devices let me know. Also let me know if you use its vpn feature. We are thinking about replacing our PIX firewall with one and would like some perspective. our plan is to load balance our 2 internet connections and provide a firewall as well.

I use an RV082 as a VPN 'server'. I will tell you, it can be a little tedious getting the VPNs to hook up. If you already have an investment in Cisco I would ask why you are getting away from them. Linksys support is pretty bad compared to Cisco, even though they are the 'same' company now. All of Linksys support comes out of the Middle East and most of the time it seems they are just reading from scripts. Remember, you get what you pay for. Linksys is a good product for the $$$ but the support cannot compare to Cisco.

Just be certain your two internet connections are unique: different domains, gateways, and DNS servers. Otherwise it will not load balance.

We used the RV082 and use it for VPN as well. We use it with both Greenbow VPN client and Netgear VPN router and it seem to work fine. But has not been able to make it work with the Netgear VPN (Safenet)client yet.

The big problem with the router is that the dual WAN doesn't work worth a damn. I can only get it to work in single WAN back up mode. When I switch to dual WAN mode, it will work for an hour or 2 and then hangs. This include access to the router from the LAN side as well so I have to to power cycle each time. (The reset switch doesn't do much either).

Also, the new service binding feature in the 1.1.5 software doesn't work either. Everytime I put in a new setting, it hangs.

Another thing you should be aware of. The 2nd WAN in backup mode is turned off. So, if you plan to use it from the WAN side, forget it.

If I have a choice, I will stay with the PIX. At least it works.

Eric

hi, we purchased an rv016 a few months back, and it sucks, the first one we bought burnt out, ok, it happens, we got a replacement, but the major problem with it's multi-wan port functions, is that there doesn't seem to be any multi-wan port functions....the ports are there, they just don't work, there has been one firmware revision which works worse than the original and they haven't made a release since 4/19/2004, so if asked about this product specifically, it was the worst purchase i have ever seen in my life (and i've paid $60 for a replacement floppy drive face plate (not even the drive!))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back