Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'Runtime' form based on existing Access database, only similarity of functionality are tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianbrown76

Technical User
Sep 13, 2002
GB
Hi

I've created a database in Access 2007 that enables members of staff using front end forms to fill in customer application forms. There's an Autoexec.bat macro that opens a certain form and only allows the user to add records.

I've created another facility within this database for other members of staff (in the Admin department) to add, edit, delete employee details, which creates drop down lists etc, enables the other staff to find their details during the application process.

Due to licensing issues it's been suggested by our IT department to create a 'runtime' version of the database for the Admin department to enter the 'employee' data. Unfortunately they can't advise how. I'd also like to keep the staff entering 'Applications' from the 'Employee' data and vice versa.

Is it possible to have a 'runtime' form opening 'employee maintenance' forms adding data to tables in the Access database that's used for 'Applications'? i.e. Is it possible to have a 'runtime' form based on an existing version of Access when the only similarities are the underlying tables? If not would I create another Access database when the tables in 'Employees' are linked to those in the 'Applications' database and then convert it to runtime?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Regards

Ian

It has been a long while since I used the runtime in previous editions.

In short the Access runtime is a crippled version of Access that is available to Access users (maybe everyone) to package Access applications with it and deploy with the Access files for free (older versions required a special license with various names - I used one of those).

The runtime can't do things like design objects and other advanced functions.

Your IT guys are suggesting to avoid the cost of an Access license you use the runtime.

MS's article is below.

The big thing to note is you can package whatever files you want and this will create a runtime. You DO NOT need to send the runtime every time you update your package... since it installs a crippled version (Access Runtime) it will persist. Just update your access files (.Accdb / .mdb or whatever) accordingly. More to the point you don't even really need to do any fancy packaging, just get something that installs the runtime and copy the rest of the files manually. I say this because the details can be long-winded and a hassle (*maybe it is better in the new version).

For development and testing purposes, the thing to know is there is a runtime command line switch so if you run access and your file with the /runtime command line switch, it *SHOULD* behave the same as the runtime but I think I have seen one or two posts about it not but should give you a good idea of what to expect.

The rest of your post is about security... much of which is done away with in Access 2007. If you want to just go security by obscurity (people can technically do bad things), you could just give the admin people the forms to do the admin stuff in their version of the front end and not give general users that information... But it is still really easy to get into the tables generally if you push F11...

The only secure model I know is to use a SQL (Express is free but has limitations) backend and do a bunch of stuff to secure the FE... I think in Nov 2011 to Mar 2012 was when I was playing with it... Likely I have some posts from back then for locking down the FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back