Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

runtime filters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

access97to2000

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
US
Hi,
Is there anyway that we can have like runtime filters ?
For ex:
i have like 10 records in a table on a report with fields filename, size, location etc.
i would like to filter out whose size is more than 4kb.
is there any way ?

thanks in advance

Do it in the query itself

SELECT blah, blah, blah
WHERE Size < 4

Rgds, Geoff

A file that big? It might be very useful. But now it is gone

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

You create a parameter or a filter in your dataset. The difference between a parameter and a filter is that a parameter affects your base dataset query, and a filter acts on the dataset that you already have queried. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

If you want to create a Size parameter, your query would be
Code:
SELECT filename, size, location 
FROM YourTable
WHERE side <= @maxsize
The "@maxsize" criteria is the parameter, and your report should automatically hook it up if you type it that way from the start. From then on, you will be prompted to enter "maxsize" every time you want to run the report. You can enter a different size every time.

A filter is similar, but your base query is just
Code:
SELECT filename, size, location 
FROM YourTable
Notice no WHERE condition for size. The report will pull in all records. This makes for a larger/slower initial query, but then all the records are cached and you can filter those faster than re-querying the database every time you want a new size limit. You create a new parameter in the report properties and then go to the DataSet's filter page and create a new filter where size = @sizeparameter.

Let me know if you need more clarification. Both methods work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back