Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runtime Error! with DSS 4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

laobancha

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
TH
Have anyone seen these error messages on DSS 4.2 console?
Any advice would be very appreciated?

-------------------------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
-------------------------------------------
Runtime Error!
Program D:\Program Files\NAI\DSProConsoleNT 4.2\Program\DSPro.exe

abnormal program termination

----------------------------------
DSPro.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x6c371351" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Error message on DSS Agent
Dr. Watson for Windows NT
An application error has occured
and an application error log is being generated.

snifferprob.exe
Exception access violation (0xc0000005), Address: 0x0040814b

I've seen before a few times now, only on 2000 machines. It is more prevelent on machines that have older versions installed on them and/or not correctly removed. The only way I've been able to resolve it, is to do a complete un-install, including removing registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NETWORK ASS, INC), prog files and the 2 files (netxray.err and sniffer.ini) from C:\winnt. (Full instructions are in the Sniffer v4.1 Install manual.) Then installing again.
Alf

Alf,

Thank you. I'll try as you mention. Reinstall fresh DSS console only right. Another choice, try DSS console on non-W2K pc ?

A little bit doubt, is physical memory of console pc problem possible ?
And I asked myself, why DSS console error possibly cause DSS agent crash (dr.watson)?

BA

Hi there.

I've had this problem several times, I tried reinstalling it but it still happens sometimes, then I upgraded RAM ( from 128 to 256 MB ) and everything was OK !, of course i can capture and open up to 4 buffer witt 8MB of data, this might help.

If it is a DSS, memory upgrade on agents was enough, on console is not necessary ( if 128 MB RAM )

Hope this helps

What were you doing when this happened - were you opening a trace file or doing a capture ? Can you send the trace file and Dr. Watson log?
Portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back