Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runtime error 2004 there isn't enough memory to perform this operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindlemonray

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am using Access 2003 and I am trying to open 34 reports within my database and am getting the above error (there isn't enough memory to perform this operation). I have checked my computer and there is more than enough memory left (I can open a whole list of other programs).

Each report has three sub reports and each of the sub report is fed by its own query. Of the three sub reports , two of the sub reports feed across all and one is unique to each report.

Can anybody help or explain why I am getting this error.

Thanks in advance
BLR
[sleeping2]

The only thing remotely similar I can think of is the MaxLocksPerFile registry key can be increased...

Although, according to the article you should be getting a more specific error. It is still worth increasing to see if it helps.

Hi Lameid,

I have increased this a lot and there is no change.

Thanks for the suggestion though.. its nice to learn something you were not aware of before!

Cheers
BLR

Sorry but it is the annoying question part of troubleshooting...

Do all the reports open individually?

Have you tried the old standbys...

Compact and Repair

Start Access with the decomplie command line switch
Msaccess.exe /decomplie DatabaseFile

Import everything into a new file.

The other question I have is do you really need to open 34 reports at a time? Maybe you could open 10 at a time and when the user is done, open the next 10.

Perhaps you could make copies of the sub reports too so that you don't have 34 instances of them... Maybe have 3 copies to keep it done to at most 12 instances.

There is also of course trying to figure out where the problem is by opening the first 17 and if that works the second 17. Divide the sub group again if it does not work until you can isolate the problem report.

Hi lameid,

yeah... done all the usual.... c&r, imported all into new DB, i have also opened one at a time and i get to about 30 and then it gives me the run time error.

I only open all of them at once as it is easy to check them before they get sent to the printer.

Quite easy to open half then the other half and do it that way which is probably what I will end up doing.

just i'd never seen that error message before. Wondered what the hell it was going on a about!

Thanks for the suggestions and at least I now know about maxlocks... cool.

Cheers
BLR
[peace]

I am curious about the error too. It sounds like it is legitimate based on the behavior you describe except for the fact that you have memory. That leads me to believe there must be a setting somewhere we don't know about that can fix it.

I am glad I was at least able to show you something [bigsmile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back