Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runs After Shutdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

depawl

Technical User
Dec 13, 2004
On an emachines Celeron 2.60 running XP, as soon as I plug it in, the power supply fan starts, all 3 keyboard lights flash on and off, and the hard drive and floppy make a continouous clicking sound. When I press the power button, it starts normally.
I swapped out the RAM, PSU, and processor, makes no difference. I removed the power switch wires from the motherboard, and shorted the jumpers, same result.
As soon as I turn it off, either via the switch or normal Windows shutdown, same thing happens.
Any ideas? About the only thing left I can think of is a bad MB, although (for now) it appears to run normally after startup.
Thanks.

Yes, I'd agreed - bad motherboard. Other tech forums have many similar problems relating to these motherboards and PSU's, and consensus of opinion seems to be that they're both of very poor quality build. I had an E-Machine a couple of weeks ago with exactly the same problem. I suggested to user that it was not financially worthwhile to replace motherboard - they opted to turn machine off at the mains socket on the wall. Would you believe a second one I had in three days ago was doing similar, but caused BSODs and memory failures as well. This one cut the CPU fan at closedown but still powered the processor! Result was one very hot CPU!

Good luck.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I would agree with Roger,
eMachines are a common sight in our workshop, they seem to have a high failure rate generally, the main weekness being their poor PSU's.
I would say it's a percentage bet that this is a motherbooard fault but would be tempted to try a replacement power supply FIRST before going any further.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Think he's already tried swapping out the PSU, Martin. "I swapped out the RAM, PSU, and processor, makes no difference...".

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Wee this is getting strange. Just for the heck of it I switched the hard drive, and now it is fine when I first plug it in, no clicking, no lights flashing, no nothing. And it boots up and runs fine. However when I shut down, it still does the clicking/flashing thing. Guess I'll just live with it 'till it dies.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back