Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running WinMail as email cleint under Windows 7, 64 Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncp

Technical User
Aug 28, 2005
GB
Folks

Under Vistax64 I ran Winmail.exe 6.0.6001.18000 AND WAS HAPPY.
Then I upgraded to W7x64, which ships (MS allege) without an email client !.

But Taskman revealed a non functional copy of Winmail.exe (Version 6.1.7600.16385) running and a dir search revealed ~/Windows Mail/~
Forums told me that the registry hack 'WinMailReg.reg' and the replacement of the W7x64 msoe.dll with Vistax64 msoe.dll would enable Windows mail. It did !

BUT
a. There is no (immediate) help, "Topic not found"
b. I can't see how to invoke newsgroups
c. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, I can't attach stuff to mails, either by drag-drop or by menu option "Insert/file attachement"

I installed MS's "Windows Live Mail 2011". This does nothing
I swopped out some/all the W7 mail files with Vista's. This made no difference/gave error 0x8007000E.
>WinMail.exe /reg doesn't help

Has anyone upgraded to W7x64 and got WinMail running PROPERLY ?
All suggestions to fix the 3 problems above, particularly c. are welcome.

Please no suggestions for other mail clients - yet.

John

Quick Update

I'm got attachments working via the Insert/File Attachment menu.

This menu option worked after perusing all the tools options and fiddling with them, particularly the security options. Embarassingly I can't determine by reversing the changes, as I recall making them, which option activated the menu feature.

I still can't Drag&Drop attachments into mails, any ideas as to why are welcome.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back