Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Windows based Applications - WINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

southbeach

Programmer
Jan 22, 2008
US
Hello!

I know little to nothing about this - I have never done this but I know of it by having read a couple of articles way way way back in the days.

The problem:
I have a legacy application which runs in Windows. It is currently installed in a win-2k3 32bit server. I need to move out of win-2k3 server so that I can install and use cCURL and wget binaries for API integration - these binaries, as far as I can find, are not available for win-2k3 (tried like 5 variations and none of them will run). I do not want to even think about compiling a binary for win-2k3 ...

The same application is currently running in a Linux box - Due to licensing issues (user count) and decisions made some years ago, merging to a single version is not an option.

The question:
Since we already have a Linux Server, can I install WINE in this server, install my windows application in this server and run both versions at once off the same server?

I guess I wonder if the server needs to boot as Linux and/or Windows!

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

S
southbeach said:
ince we already have a Linux Server, can I install WINE in this server, install my windows application in this server and run both versions at once off the same server?

Dunno, ... Will the application (whatever it is) run on WINE?

And of course if it does, you may have problems with accessing both instances simultaneously unless you can use different ports for whatever it is. WINE is a WINdows Emulator not a virtualisation system so it does not 'share' the machine.

Have you thought about using VirtualBox? so you could run two virtual server instances on the same hardware?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

you can try to install playonlinux. Which windows application did you run on linux server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back