Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Windows 2003 X64 on a X4600 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DK
Hi

Does anyone have something to share about running Windows X64 on a X4600 server?

I am planning to implement our first X4600 running Windows 2003 X64 on it.
Initially it will have 4 x dual core processors and 16 GB of RAM, 2 x dualport 4 Gbit/s HBA's and using the 4 x Ethernet NIC's in a teaming setup.

/johnny

I currently run Windows 2003 Enterprise on x4200s, v20z and v40z models. Now depending on what you are doing with these servers, be aware that the disk subsystem (LSI controller) is fine for the OS, it has really slow write speed. This is due to the fact that there is no battery backup on the controller and therefore write cache has been hindered.
So if you are looking to use this server for a lot of data crunching, I would recommend upgrading to RAID controllers or SAN storage.
Hope this helps.

I only have my OS on the internal drives. I have my data on a Sun 6540

I have been looking without any success for a Server Assist CD for Windows 2003 Server installation

So now I try to install everything by hand. What a pest.

But except for that, the server is GREAT

/johnny

As far as I know there is no server assist CD for Windows 2003. Luckily the installation guide for Windows 2003 is pretty straight forward. Remember it seems that they support 2003 only as a courtesy, and really want you to use Solaris or Linux on the machine

I think you are right in that way that Sun doesn't know much about running Windows.
I have contracted my Technical account manager, my accout manager and some other technical people at Sun.
Most of them are very helpfull, but they don't know much (about Windows on their servers)

But I think you are wrong on that Sun doesn't want to push Windows onto their servers. I think they will push hard in the future.
On technician at Sun told me that he things on of the problems Sun has it that they don't have an OEM agreement with Microsoft so they are not allowed to make a server assist installation for Windows.

But now that I have the X4600 up-and-running it works great. And performance is a dream.

Only thing I haven't managed is to find a tool to manage the build-in raid/sas cntl. Sun gave me a too from where I can see stuff abount it, but not do anything.
And their also seem to be a problem in runnint raid-1 with 2 hot-spare drives. Haven't been able to configure more then one hot-spare drive

But I hope that the X4600 with be our future server for big Windows and big WMware servers in our installation.

I expect to have a project after summer where I want to use 2 x4600 for VMware with 4 processors and 32 GB of ram for starters.

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back