Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Visual Basic Database Application with Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

flubbard

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I am trying to get a visual basic application running with Wine. It is a simple database application that connects to a remote MySQL server. The program appears to launch, but when trying to make the connection, I get:
Code:
Run-time error '429':
ActiveX component can't create object
Wine is sending out
Code:
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4} not registered
and similar errors for create_server class.

I also get
Code:
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {00000514-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4} could not be created for context 0x5

Has anyone had any success getting a database program written in Visual Basic to run under wine or see what I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-flub

I'm no expert on Wine, but that error message suggests to me that Wine isn't finding a DLL that the program depends on - either it's not installed or wasn't properly registered. Are you perhaps missing a database driver package that needs to be installed? Maybe ADO or MySQL libraries or something like that?

I used to get a missing dll error. I had resolved that by adding DAO350.dll though I would not be surprised if it was still a dll error. I added the dll by copying it into the system32 directory (under the appropriate user). I did not do anything else to register it. What else should I do to get it properly registered, or is there a way to determine what dll's the program is looking for.

- flub

UPDATE:

I have registered the dlls mentioned before using regsvr32 but am still experiencing the same error. It still might be other dlls that are missing, but I'm not sure how to determine what it needs.

- flub

What you need is a dependency tracing/tracking utility. Try Dependency Walker.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back