Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running two subnets on network??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1977

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
GB
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this issue. I have 15+ servers running on one subnet /25 that is running behind a cisco firewall.

We are close to using all of our IP addresses and i have just managed to secure a /24 subnet. I am trying to figure out the best way to run these two subnets in my solution side by side. The firewall in our solution has now been setup by our hosting company to route between the two subnets/vlans. The port going to the firewall has been switch to a trunk port to handle the two vlans. I have now got a port on the switch setup in the new vlan and another trunk port.

I am looking at using Vmware ESX vswitches to add a second network card on our virtual machines going onto the new subnet/vlan. With the trunk ports going all the way to the firewall the two subnets should be able to talk to each other.

On the second network card in the servers will i need to add a gateway on the new subnet or will the server use the gateway on the first card. If i do add two gateways how will the server decide what gateway to use?

I need to start using the new subnet as I need to setup new sites on unqiue IP addresses. These sites run againts different database servers on the original subnet (soon the DB servers will be on both subnets).

Can anyone help with the above questions. Any tips and ideas on how best to set this up would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

get a host setup on the new subnet and see where it breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back