Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running two operating systems on one puter

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepchild

Technical User
Dec 1, 2001
US
I was wondering if it would be possible to run two separate operating systems on one computer. Could I partition my hard drive and have two seperate start ups on boot? Would that be done with the autoexec.bat file, or the config.sys??
Any help or input would be great. Thanks Bill

Bill,
Yes it is quite common to do this. It is ususl to install the older OS first, eg Win98. You may require a boot manager program such as Boot Magic (comes as part of most versions of Partition Magic) or one of the many free ones that can be found on freeware sites. This depends on what the second OS is. Win XP and 2000, also Linux, come with their own boot manager / partitioning utilities so in those cases no 3rd party software is required. If you are doing 2 Win9X installations you will have to partition the hard drive first using fdisk and install a boot manager. After the OS installations have been done the boot manager will then give you a choice of OS to load on startup.

Be sure to make the emergency boot disks, both for partition magic (if available for your version) and for boot magic. Installation of some operating systems rewrite the boot, which hijacks the boot manager code, which then needs to be reactivated with the EBD. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back