Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Totals for Checkbook help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven547

Technical User
Sep 15, 2004
US
I'm working with MS ACCESS, and created a form for a checking account. However, I want to have a running daily balance. Currently, my balance=deposit-withdrawal. That's it. How would I display a running daily total in a report and/or a grid? This is the "account ledger" DB I found on microsoft.com site. I tried a runningsum, but realized that wouldn't work because I was doing a runningsum on my formula (balance=deposit-withdrawal). Help?

thanks.

Assuming that the beginning balance is 0 and you are displaying this on a REPORT: You can make an unbound textbox on the report and set its value to:
Code:
=Sum(Deposit) - Sum(Withdrawal)
Make sure you have the recordsource of your report set to the table that contains this information.

-Pete

Thanks. I tried that and still no luck. The balance is entered in the first line as a Deposit. The report is based off the table. When I'm in reports, and do what you said, this is what displays:(hope it reads well when posted)

Dep Amn W/D Balance
1000 500 -649
1000 -649
500 -649
1000 -649
10001 20000 -649
12550 52000 -649

That -649 is the overall balance, so it doesn't seem to be adding like it should? The Deposit and Withdrawals data is entered thru the form. Suggestions? Appreciate your time too.

gotcha, I thought you just wanted it on the footer of your report. I dont know off the top of my head how to keep it in the details section. Maybe i can find out.

-Pete

You could add another column where deposits are positive numbers and withdrawls are negative and use that column for your running balance.

Mike

Ok, heres a solution I came up with:
On your report make THREE (3) Unbound text fields.

In the first field put Deposit, name the field something youll remember "txtDeposit", set its visible property to false, and set the runningsum property to OverAll.

Second field put Withdrawal, name the field..."txtWithdrawal", set its visible property to false, and set the runningsum property to OverAll.

Third field, put =txtDeposit-txtWithdrawal, leave it visible, and runningsum to none.

Hopefully that works to your needs.

-Pete

Thanks for all your input! Using your info supplied, I figured out how to do this. In the table I'm using as entry of the data, I had to set the default value of the fields (deposit and w/d) to "0". The report wasn't calculating anything because it couldn't subtract or add a "nothing" value. Now it works. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back