Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running total that evaluate on change of group AND formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budjette

Programmer
Jul 8, 2002
CA
Hi!

I use CR 8.5 and SQL database. I have a running total that summarize a field. I need to evaluate it on a change of month (group #3) and reinitialize it on a change of year (group #2). I have another group (group #1 : currency) that I need to do another calculation. Let me explain. I have the month of january and february of 2003 and 2004 so 4 numbers that I need to count and it should go like this:
Group by month (group #2)
200301 : 1.2
200302 : 1.3
200401 : 1.6
200402 : 1.4

I need to sum 2003 : 2.5 and sum 2004 : 3.0. After that, I need to take the result of 2004 minus the result of 2003 : 3.0 - 2.5 = 0.5. This result needs to be in the group #1. I was thinking of a running total that evaluate on a change of group AND on a formula but that is not possible. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bud

You say in one place that Group 2 is year and then later that it is month. But, if we assume that you want the calculation in the currency group footer, then do two running totals like this:

{#2003}: Select {table.amt}, sum, evaluate based on a formula:
year({table.date}) = 2003 //or if the date field is a string, use:

left({table.date},4) = "2003"

Reset on change of group (currency)

{#2004}: Same as previously, except use

year({table.date}) = 2004

This will allow the results to be carried into the group footer (currency) for each running total. Then create a formula {@diff}:

{#2004}-{#2003}

Place this in the currency group footer.

-LB

Thanks,

I'll try that, hope this works.

Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back