Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Total count starting at zero, not one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andie

Technical User
Mar 22, 2001
US
I am using a Running Total count as a way to list the rank order of locations. The report has 3 groups -
Grp1 = Division
Grp2 = Department
Grp3 = Location

I have the Group Sort Expert set for Top 10 Locations by total widgets. This correctly produces the top 10 locations in descending order.

The Running Total is set up as a count evaluated on the change of location and reset on the change of the department. It works fine except for 2 out of the 88 departments. In those two departments, the running total field starts at 0 and ends at 9.

Any thoughts on why the count may start at zero rather than one? And what can be done to ensure it always starts at one?

In looking at the data for patterns, I noticed the following pattern:
Department A, Location B, Widgets=0, Rank=10
Department B, Location B, Widgets=100, Rank=0 (should be 1)

This shows that the particular location was ranked last in the previous grouping and had zero widgets. That same location is then the top ranked in the next grouping but has a rank of 0. (I hope this makes sense.)

I am using Crystal XI.

Thanks for any help!

You could create a formula:

//{@deptloc}:
{table.Department} + "-"+ {table.location}

Then change the running total to evaluate on change of field {@deptloc}.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back