Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Temp of Athalon 1.4ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shohan

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
US
I have:

AMD Athalon 1.4ghz
Asus A7A266
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX-400 64Mb
SB Live! 5.1
40Gb 5200 RPM Maxtor HDD

The problem is when using the system either the motherboard will start a continuous beep or it will lock up. The running temperature of the CPU is 140-155F, even with the case panel off. I was told that AMD average 60C for this processor speed. Is this true or am I runng to hot.

CPU overheating? Check out these sites...

You stated the temp on your Athlon is at a max of 155F/68Celsius
That's well below the 203F/95C temp AMD recommendeds for
1.4 Ghz sockets.
This is from their Athlon Tech Document at
A PDF document...so ya need Acrobat Reader.

As far as the beeping....depending on the Bios you have certain beeps mean certain errors. Check your systems manual and this site....
For common MAX temps on CPU's check out the Heatsink guide at These temps are assuming CPU is NOT overclocked.

If you want to monitor your temperature, try Hmonitor,
at It's a shareware program that will monitor your
processor and motherboard temperature.

If you need a utility to identify your processor, try
Wcpuid V3 at
Hope this helps ;-)
Shawn

Read all this information and take it with a large pinch of salt!! because as we all know, we live in the real world of computing and not the laboritory type.
Just read the posts and you will clearly see that although acording to AMD you processor is running well within permitted temperature tollerances you are infact running a little warm compared to others, by others I mean the average T/bird 1.4 user who has got his cooling sorted!!
From what I see Absolute max'es of mid to low 50's are the norm for this clock speed obviously depending on the climate you live in! some are getting lower than this, good for them!! it also is clear that you can get instability problems when venturing into the mid to late 60c range.
So cooling sorted??? I mean you must have a good A rated heatsink and fan combi and more importantly at least two extra case fans to get rid of all of that warm are and get a cooler supply of are to the CPU fan so the heatsink can work more effectively. Martin.

Alright I have a question about the cooling fans. I have 2 open spaces for fans but should I have one fan blowing in and one out, creating a current, or should I have both case fans drawing air out of the case?

In theory you should ballance the CFM (air coming IN equal to air going OUT) but this is not absolutely critical.
Remember you already have the power supply fan Exhausting top rear, so you should definately have the front lower fan sucking in (remember hot air rises) so cold in at the front bottom and hot out the top rear.
Now I know it goes against some peoples opinions but I use the middle rear ALSO to suck IN! my reason for this is I have found that this is the best way to get a cool air supply to the processor, you see if you rely on the bottom supply of air this has had to travel through the system and has warmed up several degrees before it reaches the CPU.
Now this is Two fans IN against One OUT! but is the best combination without taking more drastic steps like cutting holes in the top of your case. The ideal scenario would be to put a further fan in the top exhausting out! I would try the exsisting fan mounting points first and see how this helps. Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back