Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running SQLEXEC on MySQL Database -- Continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzNative

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2024
US
Hello All,

In reviewing a prior thread ( it seems as though I have a very similar dilemma. The primary difference is that I'd prefer not to utilize outdated ODBC connectors due to vulnerability concerns. I'll quickly recap below:

MySQL Server: 8.0.37-0ubuntu0.22.04.3
MySQL ODBC (Windows - 32 Bit): 8.0.37

MySQL Table (test): A simple example, but this issue seems to impact all tables regardless of data type.
Create SQL: CREATE TABLE test SELECT UUID() as id, CAST(1 AS DECIMAL(1,0)) as _row; INSERT INTO test SELECT UUID() as id, CAST(2 AS DECIMAL(1,0)) as _row;...
Select SQL: SELECT * FROM test;

Screenshot_2024-07-09_104328_mdbuuc.png

VFP Commands:
aa=SQLStringConnect("Driver={MySQL ODBC 8.0 ANSI Driver};Server={host};Database=mysql;Uid={user};Password={password}")
SQLEXEC(aa,"SELECT * FROM test;")
browse

Screenshot_2024-07-09_104456_sbnz2o.png

Additional Testing:
[ul]
[li]mariadb-connector-odbc-3.2.2-win32.msi works appropriately[/li]
[li]MySQL 8.0.33 works[/li]
[li]MySQL 8.0.35 does not work[/li]
[li]MySQL 8.0.36 does not work[/li]
[li]MySQL 8.0.37 does not work[/li]
[li]Excel works appropriately when connecting via MySQL ODBC 8.0.37. This leads me to believe it's how VFP is interpreting the data from MySQL.[/li]
[/ul]

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

How did you install a MySQL database 8.0.37-0ubuntu0.22.04.3 on Windows?

Your code says it makes a connection to localhost, that by definition of how VFP works must be a computer running Windows OS, so the connection you want to make to an installation of MySQL on a Linux server, even if that's a virtual machine hosted on your PC, won't be localhost.

Any way you look at it, the setup seems wrong or odd and so lets take it from something that works - Excel. What connection do you use in Excel that makes it see data correctly?

Chriss

Hi Chris,

MySQL Server is installed on Ubuntu, but the connection is being made from a Windows device using an ODBC connection. I hope that helps clarify.

You edited your original post from Server=localhost to Server={host}, that makes more sense, but still doesn't make this better in itself.

So can you post the specific connection string Excel uses and/or compare for yourself that you do connect to the same database server at all?

Chriss

You're correct, Chris. I edited the original post to state "{host}" to prevent any future misinterpretation by other users.

Yes, I'm able to connect via Excel using a DSN. However, using that same DNS in VFP I'm unable to connect. For example:

Excel Power Query connection string: Odbc.DataSource("dsn=TEST", [HierarchicalNavigation=true])
Excel Power Query Output:

Screenshot_2024-07-09_121527_qyq8eb.png

VFP Commands:
aa=SQLCONNECT("TEST")
SQLEXEC(aa,"SELECT * FROM test;")
browse (Provides the same output as above)

I hope this helps.

Can you show the definition of the DSN (minus anything secret, of course) within the ODBC Data Source Administrator (32 bit)?
Excel is also 32bit?

Chriss

You bet.

Verifying DSN "TEST" is 32-bit:
Screenshot_2024-07-09_124358_ck5pgm.png

Various default configuration settings within the MySQL ODBC connection:
Screenshot_2024-07-09_124506_ynskpa.png

Screenshot_2024-07-09_124526_t1uueb.png

Screenshot_2024-07-09_124541_rgwxe5.png

Screenshot_2024-07-09_124614_efjicv.png

Screenshot_2024-07-09_124629_wkc9tl.png

Screenshot_2024-07-09_124558_wqhwgt.png

Screenshot_2024-07-09_124448_tyegqf.png

Interesting, the essential information is above all the details you screenshot.

Anyway, you connect to the mysql database within the database server instance? That's the main system database, create a new one

I'd give it a slight chance you get a desired result running all this:
Code:
lnH = SQLConnect("TEST")

=SQLExec(lnH,"Create Database `testfoxdb` ChHARACTER SET = latin1 COLLATE = latin1_general_ci")
=SQLExec(lnH,"Use `testfoxdb`")
=SQLExec(lnH,"Create Table `testfox` (`rownum` integer, `uuid` varchar(36))") 
=SQLExec(lnH,"Insert Into `testfox` Values (1,UUID()),(2,UUID()),(3,UUID())") 
=SQLExec(lnH,"Select * From `testfox`",'mysqldata') 
SQLDisconnect(lnH)
Browse

Chriss

Quick Update:

I've further verified that I'm able to connect via VBA through Excel using both DSN and full connection string. As an example:

Screenshot_2024-07-09_131949_qbvibj.png

Thank you, Chris.

I've ran the code provided and here is the output:

Screenshot_2024-07-09_134319_bkpnlh.png

The result should be 3 records with rownums 1,2,3 and 3 UUIDs, of course.
The hope was creating a database with latin1 character set would work best for VFP.

Looking into my details I use MySQL ODBC 8.0 Ansi Driver in version 8.00.32.00 from 10/12/2022

So it seems to confirm your observation about Ansi drivers not working from version 8.00.35 and higher. I doubt Oracle will care for that and the best thing you can do is use the latest driver working with VFP.

Chriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back