Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running sql from Query Analyzer and VB and getting different results

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillianm1

Programmer
Sep 8, 2000
IE
Hi,
Can someone please help. I am running the following sql from the query analyzer and vb:

select * from DWCSYPER where convert(datetime,CPFDAT) < '02/01/2000'

Where CPFDAT is a field with datatype char.
When run from vb, I get no records - when run from the Analyzer, I get one record (correct). VB doesn't seem to like the where clause. Does anyone know why?

BTW I can't change the design of the table to make CPFDAT into a date datatype as values are imported into the table in text format.

Thanks,
Gillian
[sig][/sig]

It could have something to do with local settings - whenever I compare dates in where clauses I always format them to mmm dd, yyyy as then there is no ambiguity about being dd/mm or mm/dd format.
Also I put #'s around dates - I would have thought that your would create sql statement would return an error as there aren't any #'s around the date.

Simon [sig][/sig]

SQL Server will treat the expression '02/01/2000' as a string not a date, but it won't give an error, it will just allow a date and a string to be compared. The result doesn't usually give the desired effect though, unless you order the date as yyyy/mm/dd. At least then the less-than comparison would always work.

It is better to make them both dates, as swilliams suggested, but using the expression #02/01/2000#. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back