Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running out of Voicemail Pro Ports - port congestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

perrywilliams

Technical User
Aug 13, 2009
US
I have an IP Office 406 4.2(14) with voicemail pro +8 ports for a total of 12 available voicemail ports.

This is on a PRI with 23 channels (22? 26? -whatever)

I get consistent msgs that I run out of voicemail ports.
The msg in system status is:
---------------------------------------------
The following resources are all in use:
Voicemail Channels
---------------------------------------------

We have a busy office, with up to 8 people answering the phones, and the system set to record all incoming calls.

The voicemail is seldom un use (actual voicemail) but the voicemail pro system answers every call with a quick "calls may be recorded" before sending to a hunt group.

I don't have any complaints from incoming callers, so everything seems fine, I assume the lack of ports is causing some calls to NOT be recorded..

I talked to a tech at TelephoneMagic.com, and he said that I shouldn't be getting this error with my use.

Any ideas?

-Perry

Every call that gets recorded takes 1 port of voicemail. If a voicemail port is not available when the system attempts to record a call it will allow the call through but will not record the call. In these cases you will get the error above.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M, TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
ACE Implement: IP Office

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Other things that take a voicemail port

Listening to a voicemail message
Listening to an auto attendant
Listening to a mailbox greeting
Listening to a queue message
Listening to ANYTHING ELSE

Recording a voicemail message
Recording a phone call
Recording ANYTHING ELSE

:)

Each caller doing any of the above takes a voicemail port. The only exception is "listening to a queue message" where synchronize calls is enabled. In those cases only 1 port is used per queue for all callers in the queue.

Kyle Holladay

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Do you also have Queue announcements without Q-position?
If so you could tick "synchronise calls" on the HG, then it will play the same announcement to all queued callers, also set the repeat timer higher helps.

Avaya_Red.gif

I don't have a Queue announcement. The calls get the "recording" announcement, then go straight to hunt group and ring until answered. They are often placed on hold, but no fancy queueing going on here..

I have no idea what you mean by
"tick synchronize calls" on the "HG"? Whaaaa? HG?
Can you translate that into novice?

HG is HuntGroup in the Manager, but forget it then.
You'll need more VM channels, it's just a licence.

Avaya_Red.gif

you havent got any recordings set twice have you? i.e recording on line and on hunt group?

"There's a dog in the New Zealand section

open system status. put a call in, if its being recorded twice you will see it.

I did have a little double recording, Hunt group and one of my incoming lines, but not much.

So basically, each incoming call that is being recorded will take one voicemail port, correct?

The guy I spoke with did not think this was the case.

Anyone know what calls take a
voicemail Ports vs
Conference Ports vs
Data Port??

might have been enough to tip the ports over the edge.

Each call will take one port unless its programmed wrong :)

I'd be leary of any company who says that the IP500 Digital Station card supports the 4400 series phones. No wonder their tech said that VM recording wouldn't take a port of VM.

"Provides Digital Station (DS) ports supporting 24xx, 44xx, 54xx and 64xx Series phones plus 3810 and 9040 phones. The IP 500 Office Digital Station card provides 8 extension ports. Terminals can be located up to 1km from the unit using CAT5 cabling (see Handset Cable Lengths)."

Kyle Holladay

Also::
IP 500 - Analog Phone Cards
Provides POT ports for analog telephones. The IP 500 Office Analog Phone Card is available in 2 versions providing 2 or 8 extensions. Telephones can be located up to 1 km from the unit using CAT5 cabling (see Handset Cable Lengths). These cards are compatible with the current IP 500 Avaya IP Office system.

I assume the states has the same rules as us. Cat 5 has a limit of 100m!!!

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Cat5 has a 100m limit for LAN connections. Got nothing to do with one pair phones. I wouldn't use cat5 for phones and over 100m anyway. The twists are too tight. I'd use plain ole cat3.

Kyle
telephonemagic.com is a reseller only, they have no expertise in actually installing and programming the system so I guess that is a typo on their website. But the 44xx is mentioned on the expansion module and the 44xx phones work on those so they are only half wrong :)
But that's what you have to deal with if you are buying cheap, they are offering discount pricing but no expertise in installing the parts but have the Avaya warranty because they are an official reseller.
Jamie cat 5 goes more then 100m, it goes actually 300Ft in the States :p

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Be interested to see what happens to resellers like that when Avaya switches to a SSU model for support on IP Office and people who buy from the likes of telephonemagic.com are left out in the cold with no way to do so much as download a copy of Manager.

Kyle Holladay

Be interested to see what happens to resellers like that when Avaya switches to a SSU model for support on IP Office and people who buy from the likes of telephonemagic.com are left out in the cold with no way to do so much as download a copy of Manager.

Roll on that day!

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

^love it. the irony is massive considering all that work you have done for me :)

Which i massively massively appreciate by the way!

Sorry Tom,

My irony detector must be busted! Would you explain?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

i think i misread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back