Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running out of memory 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I have a cheap and cheerful Galaxy Y which I got for £5 from Tesco with the help of lots of points vouchers. Anyway, I only use it for 5 things: phoning, sending texts, sat nav, photographs and maps. I do transfers via airdroid.

Every so often, it says the software has been updated so I just get the latest. Now it tells me that I need to delete stuff because the memory is full. There is about 1.8Gb remaining on the 2Gb SD card. All the pictures are stored there.

I guess I could uninstall the stuff I don't use like you-tube, talk, radio, etc: about 2 pages worth of stuff that I never use but these are standard apps. It won't let me uninstall them. The other option is to force updates on to the SD card but it won't do that either. The apps I have installed install on to the SD card.

What are my choices here to free up the internal memory?

I realize this is really old, but I think you can go at it a couple of different ways. One way is to reset the phone to factory condition - that'll remove all the updates, and since it sounds like you don't really have any custom apps, that alone would give you some time.

Then if you really want to get rid of some of the apps you don't use, and aren't concerned with getting possible updates from a cellphone provider, you can go out and search for how to get root access on your phone. Once you get that, you can use another small app or two to remove what you don't want.

I tried this with an LG something or other (forget the model - was free to me, b/c friend was no longer using it) which I didn't setup a cell account for. Well, on that one, I found the seemingly most popular and easy instructions for getting root... it worked but not all the way. I then restored the phone back to "new", and since I had set one app up as a system app, I actually had full access AFTER the phone restore - pretty cool.

Now, I've not uninstalled anything yet there, but I have considered it, since I'm not on any cell company with this, and I keep that phone in airplane mode.

another thing you can do is turn off updates for any apps you don't use - at least that's what I've read. I thought I turned off updates for 1 or 2 of them, but they still got updated, go figure. Either that... or I made those changes before I wiped everything.

Anyway, sorry for late reply - was browsing around and happened upon this one.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Similar thing happened to me with a not so cheap Galaxy Note (1).
Removed the 8Gb microSD card that was all I ever expected to use, copied its contents to a 16Gb microSD card, moved a bunch of apps to the microSD card with AppMgrIII.

(
AppMgrIII is one of several apps that do the same thing, let you move apps to and from the SD card. It was the first one I tried, and it works. The others may be as good or better; I don't know.
)

I'm only on Gingerbread. I don't think mine will take AppMgrIII. I'll keep a lookout for similar things. Made the mistake of rooting my tablet the other day to get round a similar memory problem. 5 apps worked, the rest didn't so I had to reset to factory settings and start all over again. It is quite good having a clearout. Then you get what you really use instead of what the kids decided to dump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back