Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running out of IP's....

Status
Not open for further replies.

animosis

MIS
Nov 17, 2003
US

My company is running out of IP's for distribution. We're approaching 255 and I have been tasked with finding out how to get more users connected. Are there any solutions to this problem other than buying a new Class A liscense for more IP's?

Somebody suggested to me that you divide the network into segments, and use a computer that has six or seven NIC's installed as the controller. Each NIC is it's own segment, and then you use switches to connect them all together. To me, this seems like it has too much "cash and carry" to be a truly effective solution. Microsoft has 20,000 computers, I doubt they are using multiple computers loaded with NIC's to control everything.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Private IPs for anything that doesn't actually need to be on the Internet. Private IPs are free, and when you run out, adding another /22 is easy.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

If you have Internet access for these PC's dished out through proxy-type services then you could just have logical subnetting through private IP ranges. That alleviates the hardware subnetting you would be trying to accomplish using multihomed servers.

For example, say Floor 1 is one organizational unit. Dish them out an IP range from the 10.0.0.0 network. Floor 2 is another organizational unit. Dish them out an IP range from the 10.0.1.0 network. And so on. As long as the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 they will be logically separated from each other. You can set the subnet mask to something other than the default, which there by allows you this freedom.

You can bind multiple IP addresses to the same NIC on the servers, but you really wouldn't need to by utilizing the tips outlined above.

Maybe check out a book at the library on network IP addressing or browse a vendor website. In past lives I frequented Cisco's site since they had tons of docs.

I should also mention that these computers need to be able to talk to each other in addition to being able to browse the web. We have more than 255 users here, so the problem is: how do we get all these users onto workstations w/out having to buy another IP liscense.

Thanks for the help guys!! Keep those suggestions coming. :)

I agree with the Private IP assignments. The way that works is that all of the addresses on your internal network will be private (ie. non accessible from outside unless allowed) You would need to have hardware that supports NAT (network address translation) You would then only use you assigned public IP's for MX record, Web Server, Router, PIX etc.

All of the clients privately addressed on the inside would all still be able to communicate no problem. They would have addresses on the same segment. If you used a 10. network for example and you only have one segment you would have from 10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254 to address your machines (a lot of adresses) If you have more than one segment then you can subnet down to create additional networks internally.

Your clients would access the internet through what is called a global IP. A single address which is valid on the internet and all of your clients use (this is through the NAT)

I hope this helps a little, if you have any questions let me know.

Ian

you mention obtaining more Class A IP's?

a class A range is typically something like 10.x.x.x (10.0.0.1 - 10.255.255.254)

and using a handy little tool like Solarwinds.net's Advanced Subnet calculator you quickly discover that you can have a possible 16777214 different IP addresses.

However, what is your subnet mask, is it 255.0.0.0? (which is a Class A Subnet mask)

or 255.255.0.0 (Class B) or 255.255.255.0 (Class C)

If you use Class B then you can have for example 10.0.x.x (10.0.0.1 - 10.0.255.254 = 65534 IP's)

or in the case of Class C 10.0.0.x (10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254 = 254 IP's)

As mentioned previously, internal IPs don't cost anything, and i very much doubt you have an external internet facing IP for each desktop, that is madness if you ask me, one Externally facing 'purchased' public IP for your Internet Access point is enough (again maybe through NAT)

How are the IPs distributed? via DHCP?

How about changing the Subnet Mask here if so (if you have a Class C Mask) so that a broader range gets distributed.

If all the desktops are fixed IPs then you are going to have to get a copy of Advanced Subnet Calculator and a good pair of shoes (to go round and manually change the IP addresses and Subnet Masks on each desktop)

I know i repeated some of Delphinius's post, but its Very relavant

The last bit of advice I would offer is to get a book on IP network addressing. Going over the concepts folks have touched upon in this thread would help you map out exactly what you want to do and how to best get there.

That way any future adds and changes will be smooth in addition to this specific project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back