Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running out of ip addresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kribo

MIS
Aug 1, 1999
US
i'm new to this field and i was wondering,<br>
if you run out of ip addresses,<br>
whats the best way to get more ip?<br>
lets say you're only given 1 class "c"<br>
address.<br>
can you "supernet" or how does "n.a.t." work?<br>
<br>
<br>
thanks!

Native Address Translation (NAT) is how this is usually handled. The NAT protocol translates one IP address on a network to another IP address on another network. Most often implemented on a router or firewall, NAT takes private IP addresses and translates them using a pool of public addresses. See RFC 1631 for more information.<br>
<br>
What I've done is reserve about 10-12 addresses for routers, firewalls, and external servers (ftp/web/smtp) and place the remaining addresses in a pool for my firewall's NAT. I've used one of the reserved addresses for privately addressing my network behind the firewall. Most major firewall packages and routers support this protocol.<br>
<br>
I hope that helps...<br>
jfk

I assign each remote site two or three internal class 'C' ranges. At the firewall, each site is assigned one proxy (NAT) address for its assigned internal ranges. So Site-A will use 202.1.2.3/32 as a proxy for internal ranges 192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.3.0/24; Site-B will use 202.1.2.4/32 as proxy for 192.168.4.0/24 and 192.168.5.0/24<br>
<br>
This makes it easy to narrow down traffic by center. In my internal DNS, I list the legal addresses as proxy1.domain.com and proxy2.domain.com, ect. . . By looking at the logs, I can see that proxy3.domain.com is all traffic from Site-C<br>
<br>
As far as masking down an address-range. You lose two addresses for each bit you add. I only cut subnets if I have to, and if they're on each side of a router that can't NAT. (Like Cabletron SSR's with the current code)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back