Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running out of Drive Letters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rirusstek2

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
I have a system which has run out of Drive: letters, Drive Z: is the last one. Any other drives that might be in the system DON'T show up.

I read somewhere that when the single letters of the alphabeth run out Windows will start doubling eg Drive ZZ:.

Is this correct? or is there a solution other than cut down on Drives?

Thank you.-

Hi,

From what I have read 26 is the limit unless you use UNC paths as shortcuts to other shares.

eg. \\device\sharename

Regards,

Peter.

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

u can link a partition to a ntfs folder, then u dont need driveletters
(diskmanagement)

Ok guys, thank you for the responses !!

Now, how would I go and "use UNC paths as shortcuts to other shares"

Or ... "link a partition to a ntfs folder" (diskmanagement)

Or .... using "another Server TBH"

Can I just ask why you need so many drive letters? And is the drives on a server you are accessing from your XP machine or is it on the XP machine itself?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

To use the UNC paths, just create a shortcut (or type the address into the Explorer address bar) using the format \\server\share

or How to create and use NTFS mounted drives in Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003

Well, it is a long list of items on the computer, 2 hard disks partitoned to 6 each (separated for sorting out different permanent clients). Then the the CD Drives, Ram Drive and when I plug in the USB drive to Back up all the others on the HDD, we surpass the :Z.

I’ll try the suggestions and try and get to the UNC Path.

Has anyone hear about the double drive letter? eg :ZZ. Just to check if I remembered correctly.

Thanks to all.

Don't forget about B:, it's usually available for a 5-1/2" drive, I use it exclusively for my backup drive(s), just one letter I know but it's a start [thumbsup]

Tony

Users helping Users...

OK, I mounted some drives !!! But .... I have to REMOVE those drives????

:D ... E: etc. ?

Can I re-activate the ORIGINAL Letters to those mounted drives?

Thank you all for your help.-

wahnula

Don't forget about B:, it's usually available for a 5-1/2" drive

You're showing your age LOL my DOS 1.0 floppy disk was 5-1/2" about a billion years ago, did ya mean 3-1/2" ((~_~)))

sam

OK, I mounted some drives !!! But .... Do I have to REMOVE those drives????

:D ... E: etc. ?

How can I re-activate the ORIGINAL Letters to those mounted drives?

Thank you all for your help.-

You could use append with unc names and make everything appear in one big drive.

After mounting the volumes and 'deleting' the Original ones, how can I retore them if needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back