Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running oracle function in ASP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mts176

MIS
Apr 17, 2001
US
I have a need to store an oracle function in a CLOB. When a user hits a certain page I want to pull the function out of the CLOB and run it through an ASP page. How do I go about doing this? I have been trying to get it to run for a while now, but I just can't get it to return anything.

A little background:
I have to put it into a CLOB because we are not allowed to add anything to the database without first going to the "DBA". Our DBA is an outside company that takes to long to get our request filled, so we are trying to sidestep the process.
The functions are going to be on a per course basis, so there will be a lot of them, and they can get added daily. If we can get it to work this way it would make life a lot easier.

Thank you for any and all help.

Hi,
I believe all that would be stored is the text ( the Pl/Sql code) for the function, not the function itself..It will not 'operate' as an Oracle function unless it is defined and compiled as one..

Why are so many custom functions needed, if I may ask?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

This is for a grading system. Each course is going to have its own rules for grades. I know that eventually we will get some grading systems that will be the same but we just want to make sure we have the easiest way to add new "functions" as possible.
Our web hosting provider wouldn't trust his own mother to put anything into HIS oracle database, so we are just trying to skirt the system.

Hi,
You could just create Sql statements to handle the computations and refer to the one(s) needed ( using If..Then.. logic) for a given class..The Sql can then be sent to the database directly ( not as convenient as a SP or Function, but should be workable)

[profile]

I know we could do that we discussed it, but my boss wants as much as possible done in the database. This is the first version of the application, it is a compilation of many different developers over a long period of time. The next version is going to be rewritten and streamlined. My boss feels putting as much as possible in the database will help with the speed of the site. We haven't started on the second version yet, but whatever we can get handled now will help in the end.

Hi,
If it is wanted in the database, then you may have to suffer the poor service you get from your DBA provider...
The speed should not be affected very much by using Sql instead of a Function, since the processing will still be server-based.

Editorial comments follow:

It is time someone determines if they are your best choice for administering your database - training an in-house DBA should become a priority - if you need the data, what happens when something goes wrong ( and it will)?..Who diagnoses and fixes it - how long will you be down? Is that acceptable?

OK, Editorial over...

[profile]

That will be one of the major issues with version 2. Right now we are not equipped to host this ourselves. But of anything next version we are going to need admin rights to the database.

There are 3 of us in the office that have been a dba at one time or another in our careers, but when you pay someone else to host the application you are sadly at their mercy. The other 2 in the office have used oracle for a number of years, I just started 6 months ago, so I wouldn't be the most qualified for that position. Thank you for the help, advice, and Editorial. :)

Hi,
No problem..Many of us have been there, done that..

Best of luck as the project evolves...

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back