Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running old binaries from 3.2.4.2 on SCO V:5.0.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

rscotty

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2002
US
I was wondering if anyone has tried running old binaries compiled under SCO V:3.2.4.2 on a machine running SCO V:5.0.5 or V:5.0.6? The application is old and no longer available yet we have a few customers that dont have the $$$ to migrate to another system yet.

Thanks,
rscotty

What type of binaries are they? If they are 'coff' binaries, they should work fine under 5.0.5. I've been running old binaries under both 3.2.4.2 as well as 5.0.5, and they were originally compiled under AT&T System V.

How can I tell if the binaries are coff or not? If I do a file command on these files, it comes back as iAPX 386 executable and if they are not stripped, it will also say not stripped.

Thanks!

Under 5.0.5 it states "COFF" on the response from 'file'.
--- iAPX 386 COFF demand-paged executable not stripped. ---
I wonder what language they are written in. "COFF" is a derivitive of 'C'. But if these were compiled 'cobol', 'progress', or some other higher level language, they may need their own runtime executive. In that case, you'd need to move not only the programs, but also the associated language executive, i.e., 'runcobol' or 'proserve'. There is a wealth of possibilities here.

Thanks for the help. For some reason, the COFF wasnt showing up until I rebooted SCO. Now it displays properly. Strange! Now I get IAPX 386 COFF Demand-paged executable etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back