Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running my program on a different computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askeladden

Programmer
Jan 28, 2004
NO
I have VB6.0 with service pack 5. What should I do to run my program (statsbygg.exe) on a computer without the VB6.0 editor on it?
Thanks. :)

Christian

Hello Askeladden,

What you need to do is look under your File Menu of the IDE and look for a line that says Compile statsbygg.exe or something along those lines. This will create an executable file for your application.

The next step is you must place this executable file inside a setup file. VB6 has one of these or you can get a 3rd Party one like Innosetup. You will need to include into this setup file:

1. Copy of your exe
2. Copies of all dependencies for your application (examples ADO if you are accessing a database, VBRun.dll which is required for visual basic programs to run on any Windows machine.)

Hope that helps.

JRSofty

Thanks JRSofty.
But, where would I get vbbrun.dll, and how would I know what dependencies the program uses,and wher would I save those files on the 3rd party computer.

Christian

Hi Christian,

It may be enough to copy the VB6 runtime dll "MSVBVM60.DLL" into the user's C:\WINNT\system32 (or equivalent) directory

However you should really look in to using the "Package & Deployment Wizard".
It is avaiable at Start->Programs->Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 -> Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Tools

Dave

Forgot to say the Package & Deployment Wizard should work out what you need to include in the package to ensure that your program will succesfully install on most PCs.

Pressed the enter key too soon again.

You can specify where you want the files to go on the user's PC but i usually just leave the default values it gives.

After using the Package & Deployment Wizard you are usually left with a Setup.exe file and a cab file containing all the files required to install your software on to the user's PC.

Dave

Thanks, Digsy. That worked wonders. :)

Christian

No problem, i'm glad that it helped you.

Thanks for the star.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back