Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Exisitng ASP pages(IIS5) on IIS6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2003
SG
I have a exisiting W2k IIS Server running IIS 5. I am runing ASP application pages.

the Pages runs normally in w2k but gets HTTP500 errors when the same files is transfered to a Win2003 IIS6.

the Windows 2003 is a out of the box config. I tried to run a test asp file to write a "simple text" on screen but also resulted in HTTP500.

Anyone has mirgate a IIS5 to IIS6 asp before.

I know no voice, I knew nothing about systems,
i know NUTS on networking, Therefore I dont know anything!
-----------------------------------
©2003,2004 SCHT.

In iis6 asp has to be turned on. If i remember correctly it is not turned on with the default install. In the iis snapin go to Web Srevice Extensions and see if Active SErver Pages is allowed...i've ported asp pages from iis5 to iis6 with no problems.

yes i did.... it was 404 before i turn on asp engine. after it was 500

©2003,2004 SCHT.

hi there,
if you still have the problem, here is the solution.
In IIS6 you find under the websites a folder named Webservice Extensions. open this folder, the advanced-tab is opened and here you find server options ie: Active Server Pages, Front Page Server Extensions and others. Be sure these 'services' are granted (not forbidden).
This will solve your ptoblem.
TIP: if you want to work with databases, you should always use the C:\Inetpub\ directory this is nescessary for the global.asa file which is used.

Good luck

global.asa?
I am fairly new to asp and have seen a glocal.asa file supplied with a 3rd party ActiveX solution for their product, but I wasn't sure if this was bespoke or the norm as our existing asp pages (which use databases) don't have a global.asa file... can you offer any links to better explanations of what this file does, and how it would help me?

Sorry... off track! How are you getting on Simonchtan? DId sniffers suggestion work?

Will

if you start a new page in Frontpage, and you are going to make a new page with database-query, the global.asa file is automaticly created. Don't bother, but don't remove this file. It's just like the boot.ini file you need to run WIndows ..
This is also in relation with the HTTP 500-error. Refreshing the browser will do, otherwise close the browser and open it again. If this problem persists, try to restart the 'website' in IIS.
IIS6.0 under Windows 2003 server gives the opportunity to create multiple website's with different ports.
I'm running Windows 2003 Server with IIS6.0 myself too (for test-purposes.
If you have specific questions don't hesitate to contact me directly by mail: postmaster@hdndesign.nl

dear all,

Sorry for the late replies...

I did change the server extension to allow. that where the error from HTTP 404 change to HTTP 500 Server Error.

The web site is actually a mature working website with database and web application. It was working fine with IIS5.0 Win2K. But the same web content and setting ported directly to IIS6 will result in the error i faced.

From the MS site it suppose to be backward compactable and all i need is to enable the server extension for ASP.

I not sure if there is any issue with IIS5 ASP code running on iis6....

©2003,2004 SCHT.

There are small changes between iis5 and iis6, like cdonts to cdosys, nothing major. Can you run any asp pages at all? Try creating a small default.asp that just says hi and see what heppens.

If that does not work, go into the site properties to the home directory page, click on the configuration tab and see if you see a listing for .asp in the extensions area.

Have you run the iis lockdown tool on this box?

so let's check everything:
- IIS6 is up and running
- the desired webservice (website) is started in IIS6
- in webservice extensions Active Server Pages has to be granted
- at the properties page on the tab documents check (or add) the default.asp and/or index.asp file
- check the standard map for the webpage

on my personal FTP site I placed a document wich visualises the mentioned items. go to ftp://81.207.183.16

I have just fixed a similar issue, see if you asp page is saved as ansi.... Some of mine were unicode, which did not run. If it is unicode, just open and 'save as' selecting ansi.

D

I am having the same problem.

I had IIS 6 running on 2003 server. I had to unistall IIS 6, then reinstall it. I recreated my websites and now it is not working.

Was I suposed to install tje fromt page extensions as well when I reinstalled IIS?

Matt

Found this article on MS in the KB

Enable parent paths.

Got rid of my error 500 in IE

thanks guys,

I have setup a test bench to sim the above recommandation...

Will update you once i have a any findings.

©2003,2004 SCHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back