Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcswain

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
How can I check to see iff my app is already running when the user double clicks the shortcut a second time?

I only want one instance to ever be running.

Read my post under thread184-67376
Those explanations can be used to limit the number of instances.

In a desktop, however, a different approach can be taken. Open a DBF or any file for that matter when the application starts and leave it open till the aapplication quits .. or.. an accidental closure will auto release it.

If when you start an application, if this file is read only, you can safely assume that the application is already running and warn the user.. and quit.

ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Your Main.PRG. shall start with the following line...

=myInstance("A name for your Application")

Then uust copy the following code and add it at the end of your main.prg.
PROCEDURE myInstance
PARAMETERS myApp
=ddesetoption("SAFETY",.F.)
ichannel = DDEINITIATE("myapp","ZOOM")
IF ichannel =>0
=DDETERMINATE(ichannel)
QUIT
ENDIF
=DDESETSERVICE("myapp","define")
=DDESETSERVICE("myapp","execute")
=DDESETTOPIC("myapp","","ddezoom")
PROCEDURE ddezoom
PARAMETER ichannel,saction,sitem,sdata,sformat,istatus
ZOOM WINDOW SCREEN NORM
RETURN

The code was provided by another tek-forum member Nigelgomm and I have just polished it with my wraping. See thread thread182-81006 My appreciation to Nigelgomm. ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Hi jmcswain,
See the following:
thread184-59381
thread184-36129

Ramani,
When you performed your wrapping, shouldnt you have change all occurrences of "myapp" to myapp, so that it uses the parameter variable myapp as the published service ISO the literal "myapp"? ;-)

IOW, shouldnt your code look something like (emphasis in red):

PROCEDURE myInstance
PARAMETERS myApp
=ddesetoption("SAFETY",.F.)
ichannel = DDEINITIATE(myapp,"ZOOM")
=DDESETSERVICE(myapp,"define")
=DDESETSERVICE(myapp,"execute")
=DDESETTOPIC(myapp,"","ddezoom")

I like the implementation (using DDE). Its sweet and clean. :) Jon Hawkins

Thanks Jon, Good you pointed out.
I have made it a FAQ and with your correction, have posted it. Thanks. ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

Thanks to all for the tips here and the links to other threads.

My application is unusual, however, in a couple of ways. In particular, it's a tray application that can also open up into "regular" application mode. When you "close" the app by clicking the control box, I simply hide the main form, leaving the tray icon active.

2 Questions: Will FindWindow API calls work for hidden windows? And, the big one, anybody know how to add a menu to my tray icon?

Dont quite understand why you consider that unusual. Sounds like a typical NT service to me. :)

To answer your questions:

Yes, FindWindow will work for you when you MyTopLevelForm.Hide or _Screen.Visible = .F.

AFA the menu, re-read the replies from the last time you asked that question: thread184-89849

Bela has added menu support for his FLL. IIRC, it also supports the mark character, similar to that of the SET MARK OF command in VFP. Although, he states in that thread that the official launch isnt until August, its been available on his site since June 7. Jon Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back