Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running DOS progs on NT4 server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamaker

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
GB
Hi all

We run a DOS based accounting program (SAGE) on our NT4 server recently when users have been running this prog it has been generating system memory errors, I rang their support department and they said the server does not have enough system memory for DOS apps.

Can anyone tell me how I increase this?

Thank you.

I assume your users are running it from the workstations. If so, what's your workstation OS? If it's Windows 9*, sure your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC files in the workstation are set to SAGE's requirements.

If you're running it straight from the server, right click on the icon of the application, select properties, then the memory tab and set all the options to AUTO. The default is usually 1024 but change it all to AUTO.

BTW, do the system memory errors occur at the server or at the workstation? Suresh Mukhi

Thank you for the reply.

I am running Win98 i have set the config files to SAGE's requirements.
The errors are generated on the workstation, the program runs fine for a while then we get a red box saying insuficient memory but when i run MEM> it have 580k.
A contractor for SAGE said it could be a server problem but i can't see how this could be the case, as far as i know the server is just used for storage.

Any other ideas?

Just to validate their theory try this,

Copy all of SAGE's files to one of the workstations, share the directory.

Map 2 or 3 of the other workstations into the workstation with SAGE, run it from there. Since this is just a DOS program, no need to worry about reinstalling. Copying would do.

See if it runs without problems. If it does, then they're right. If you still get the same problems, then contact their tech support again. Suresh Mukhi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back