Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running dos application on win2k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

manjith

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
IN
i want to know hoe\w can i run dos applications like dos based foxpro ,dos based cobol programs on a win2000 server and how can i enlarge my command prompt in a full screen

Hi,

Well, Windows is pretty anti-DOS, so its not 100% guarenteed that it will work but...!
Just run it as a normal application, but when you get the windowed box (Opposed to the full screen) go to the taskbar, and right click the DOS Program. Click properties. One of the tabs gives you the option to open up the program in Full screen.

See if that helps. Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified System Engineer + Internet

Actually Windows 2000 has a special provision for DOS programs called a "Virtual DOS machine" with an acronym of NTVDM. W2K sets up a protected environment subsystem (so you don't hose your computer) that emulates MS-DOS.

Most DOS programs don't have scalable fonts so no luck with increasing sizes.

You can cause the DOS screen to fill the screen using alt-Enter. Return to a window by using alt-Enter again.

If you use Windows 2000 or XP and want larger fonts in the DOS or COmmand Prompt window without going to a full screen, then take a look at thread779-623690.

In Win2K or WinXP you can right-click on the DOS window's menu bar, select Properties, then Fonts. If you switch to Lucida Console even larger fonts are selectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back