Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Debug from Win98 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

circes9

Programmer
May 2, 2001
Anyone ever seen this?
Attempt to run CLD <app name> and it just goes into the application without ever starting debugger, but when booted from a floppy, the same application goes into debug mode just fine.
I have checked the pathing and it appears OK.
Any suggestions?

Try linking the debugger into the application directly. That way you do not have to worry about Windows failing to run the application as a parameter of CLD.
I do this with all my applications, but it does mean generating a non-debug (clean) version when the application is ready to ship.

Hey, I've the same problem. I've tried Blinking CLD as the first library and it doesn't work either.
I'm blinking other libraries.
I compile all modules with /b and all files are in the same directory.
Win 98, Clipper 5.3
I then try: CLD app.exe but it goes straight to the application. Tried running the app and press ALT-D but nothing happens... Any idea ?
Thanks,
Sergio Terenas

I have cld linked in to the app.
Neither CLD <app name> nor AltD will start debug.
CLD by itself will bring up Debug help text, so I believe pathing is OK.
Thanks anyway.

It's a known problem. Unless your app needs a network environment for the sections you want to debug, boot your computer while pressing the F8 key, then, go directly into DOS mode, and check the paths, and correct them if necesary. Then run CLD <switches> app. It works.

It just happened to me a short while ago. Previously there was no problem running/debugging under Windows 98, but then one day, it just stopped going into debugging mode. Luckily I have a dual boot system, so am now doing my editing (EditPlus2) and debugging in Windows XP - don't forget to set the compatability mode for cmd.exe to Windows 95.
If in the meantime anyone else has a better solution, don't hesitate....

Take off any Symantec application,.... and you are up again !

I wondered about this for years. Having many remote sites to I use PCAnywhere for Windows for remote dialup support. Guess what, if you load PCAnywhere the Clipper debugger doesn't work anymore. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

I have Norton Antivirus 2002 and 2003 installed on Windows 2000 and it's not a problem. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

I You read the topic, it is about Win98!!!
On Windows 2000 there is no such problem
[alien]

Actually I did read the topic, but don’t you think it’s good to tell others of your associated experience? If 98 is giving problems consider 2000.

Nowadays virus protection is a very important part of a computer system and you are without it at your peril. If running it on 98 is causing problems all I’m trying to say is it is not a problem on 2000.

After being a 98 user for years and resisting 2000, going over to it was the best thing I’ve ever done and I’d recommend it to anyone. My PC is on for weeks at a time, with 98 it’s usually days or hours. After converting several of my sites to 2000, problems are cut by 75%.
Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back