Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running data through 1308

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicDaveUK

Technical User
May 24, 2007
GB
I have a customer that will not use Wi-Fi for health reasons and wants a cat 5 point in an area of her house that already has a 20 pair cable ran to. The house is very large and very old, so running cables in the house has always been a big problem. There are some spare pairs on the twenty pair cable so if i use then does anyone know how big of an impact it will have on speed and so on.

Cheers

All depends on the Network devices and Internet etc but it will work, some have got 100mbps of on cat3.
Hook it up and do some testing, you can use 2 pairs but try to use 4 pairs if can or 3 at minimum (if equipment utilizes 3rd pair)....if they do not like it then maybe exterior cabling required.
You can then run say a 25 pair Cat5e cable from basement to 2nd floor the spread out from there with 4 pairs.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Although it is not to standards, many times we have successfully run Ethernet over POTS cable. Trying will take less than an hour. Running new cable will take much much longer.

there are also devices that will extend data over standard telephone cable .
Mitel use a streamline system that allows for 10Mb with POE over standard telephone cabling

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

and due to an endless stream of MiCollab , MiCC issues
Life would be simpler If only they tested products properly before releasing them .....

I have a customer that will not use Wi-Fi for health reasons

Don't you just love the way some people will believe any scare story regardless of the source (actually the less credible the source the more they seem to believe them)

I bet they have a mobile phone but complain that radiation from the masts does them harm as well :)

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

I have had a customer using this for a little over 3 years now.

They had a separate building with CAT 3 underground between the buildings. They just wanted to get 1 PC on the LAN in the remote building. The building construction would not allow for wireless and the customer did not want any penetrations through the main building. Pulling a UG CAT5 through the conduit was possible but the time/expense for 1 PC was not justifiable.

This is basically a short haul DSL modem. It just needs 1 pair of cable to operate. This customer gets about 50Mbps over 400' CAT 3 which is more than sufficient for what they need.

Very simple to install and, once installed, you can pretty much forget about it. This proved to be a very inexpensive solution after taking all the different options into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back