Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running corporate firewal on System I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Hi all,

I've been asked to look into running our corporate firewall on our system I within it's own LPAR. I should point out that until now I have been a Windows man and the concept of virtualization and LPARs is fairly new to me.

Has anybody used smoothwall on their system I? Other suitable firewall suggestions would be helpful

I was also wondering about hardware requirements, does this need 2 ethernet cards (internal and external interfaces) or can this be done using just one card?

I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum for this, but any information you can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Will this be running under Windows on the System I? Then this will not be running as an LPAR but as a separate server that will be using the System i storage (from what I know about running Windows on system i). Since it would be used as a firewall, then it would be configured similarly if you set it up on a separate server (2 NICs required)

Sorry I should have pointed out, this will be a Linux package (such as smoothwall)

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back