Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Cat-5 in metal manufacturing warehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebloeonthego

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
CA
Hello, I work at a metal manufacturing warehouse (in the office up front) and they'd like to connect a 3 pc's on the shop-floor (used to interface with robot-welders) for backups, and a 3 pcs along the walls (running a simple access inventory system).
I got some Cat-5e indoor (riser rated) cable, crimper, and some rj-45 ends, and a tester.
I figured I'd stick an 8-port router in the middle of the warehouse (app. 75m long) and just run the cable out in a star pattern, up to the ceiling (pretty high, 30ft?) across and back down to the pc's.

Is interference going to be a problem? There's a lot of big machinery back there, although it is pretty spaced out (most of it is of the big heavy flywheel spinning to do punch-pressing and stuff). And I will be running all along the ceiling or straight down to pc...

Network speed isn't really an issue as it's just for these three pc's to access the access database on a 'server' (which is only used maybe a handful of times each per day), and once a week backups of some confiuration files for dos programs (<1MB) on the other three. I just want to make sure it's going to work.

thanx!

You should be fine. I have similar connections pushing setup data out to machines on a shop floor for a sprocket manufacturer. Just make sure you secure and support the cables properly and stay as far away as you can from flourescent lighting.

i would put the crimper and rj 45 ends away and terminate to modular jacks with patch cords if it were my job.

it appears the cable I purchased is non-stranded (I hadn't even thought of that before), so doesn't that mean I would have to use modular jacks? Or can you still use rj-45s?

The only real difference to me would be the expense of having to use two extra 'ends' (one mod + 2 jacks) at each end right? (and buying stranded cable, or premade cable for the 'last few feet'). Or am I way off?
plus if I use modular jacks, then I don't need a bunch of extra cable at each end in case they move something, I can just plug in a longer cable.
I hadn't really thought of this stuff as I figured it'd just be a sort of hack 'hang it from the ceiling' sort of thing. As usual, once you think something through....

Put each end on a jack. Use patch cords. Will be neater and easier to fix in the future

'patch cords' being store-bought rj-45 cables of predetermined length, right?

and I can use the modular jacks without any sort of plate or anything? just sort of hanging from the ceiling (well I guess probably zap-strapped to a support beam or something)

thanx again everyone for the input.

while you can just leave the modular jack hanging I would buy some surface mount boxs (1.5-2.00 each it will protect the jack and make for neater install

be sure you buy the mod boxs made by the same manufacturer as your jack as they are all a little diffrent

somethiong along these lines:

the problem with saving 15 minutes, is that you live with the results forever. And forever is a long time.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

giving it more thought I would use a 10 lenght of 3/4 conduit ending in a junction box at the machine end
and a flat wall plate what were looking for is to protect the cable

patch cords are cheap and disposible but run the cable right and protect it

Here's a couple things to consider.

Stranded cable has MUCH more attenuation than solid. So, you don't want to run the whole thing in stranded with modular plugs on the end. Solid cable should be used for permanent installations, not in spots expected to get some movement.

If it were me, I would run regular solid wire from a patchrack to a modular jack right above the equipment. At that point, either attach an electrical box and a flush faceplate or use a surface 'biscuit' box to house the modular jack. Then drop stranded modular patch cord from there straight down to your equipment.

We did a newspaper press room this way. Mounted a biscuit box to the beam, then attached a piece of 2&quot; conduit to the beam, plugged in a 35' patch cable, wrapped it around the 2&quot; conduit a couple times (strain releif while maintaining minimum bend radius concerns) then dropped it to the equipment.

This way, if something does happen to the drop, chances are it will cost you $5 for a new patch cable and you won't damage the horizontal wiring.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

If solid cable means each little wire is just one wire and not a bunch of tiny ones, then yeah, I got the solid (unstranded).
I like the idea of the tube and box running up the post/beam, but I doubt they'll want me to go through that much trouble.
I think I'll definitely run it down the beam/wall/hanging if necessary, into some sort of modular jack, and patch cable from there. I think the possibility of damage to the wire is probably enough to convice them of the $5 patch compared to ?
I have solid rj-45 jacks, so I'm guessing I'll just put jacks on the router end and plug them in? There's only 7 computers and very little chance of growth, and if there is, I can just cut them and use a patch board then.
thanx again for the advice!

you can buy some plastic panduit to run cable down pillers to try and protect it. It comes with self addhesuve tape on it, but i still screw it down if possable.

Good Luck!!

one last question:
I know you're not supposed to run cat5 parallel to power cables, but how close do they mean? What's a (reasonable) safe distance?

If you have exposed power cabling (romex, THHN, UF, SO, wire with only a plastic jacket) then I would try to stay 12&quot; away, and avoid running parallel to it for very long. The longer you run your wire parallel to the power, the more likely you are to inductively pick up some power noise. If you power is in metalic conduit, you can run right next to it because the conduit is grounded. If you do have to cross power cabling that is exposed, do so at right angles if possible, less coupling occurs.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

If they wont buy anything else, get at least a 10 ft pvc plastic conduit, maybe 3/4 inch would be plenty for any extras.....protect the wiring. The biscuit idea would be my preference. Just change jumpers if they move it.

Also, check and see if they are wanting a telephone at that point too, it never fails, I run what they ask for, then complain because they thought a telephone hookup came with the pc drop.....run an extra cable, never hurts anything!

Randy

If you are not going to terminate with junction boxes, What I have found is that there is a difference between rj45 connectors for solid and stranded wire and the wrong one being crimped on can cause intm. problems with connection.

I noticed no one has suggested wireless for this situation. I know it is more costly to install but if ever you need to move the machine or reconfigure the layout you would not have to move cables. Wireless is pretty forgiving and has come a long way.

A bad day fishing is better than any day at work.

I WILL FISH FOR FOOD

i would suspect that if they dont want to spend the money for conduit wireless may be a might pricey for them .

Plus they'd have to put up with the guys in the parking lot with their Pringle can antennas and laptops.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back