Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

running both SQL 7 and 2000 on one server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickN

MIS
Jun 27, 2001
US
Does anyone know if I can have both sql 7 and sql 2000 on one new WIN2000 server? I already have sql 2000 installed but have run into processing errors (the original sql 7 db is on an older server). I do not want to drop sql2000 but would like to install sql 7 on the same server for addtional testing. Can this be done?

Thanks.

Yes but.

I think you will have to uninstall 2000, then install 7 and then reinstall 2000 again. The reinstall of 2000 will be a named instance of the server which 7 did not support.

You might also try setting the compatablility level of the database to 70 (which will emulate a 7 server.) You can do this in enterprise manager by right clicking on the database name, selecting proerties and going to the options tab.

Thanks for responding but both our databases are set on 65 now. The original database was SQL Server 6.5 - long before I took over. I guess what we want to know (and I think I have brought this issue up before) is why 2000 is processing the exact same script that was on our SQL Server 7 db differently? We need to get the same results that we get from our 7.0 database but we have been unable to do this and we have been reluctant to go into all of our procedures to force ordering (it is a 20+ gig db). Or should I just go back to 7? Help!!! Any advice greatly appreciated. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back