Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running back end access on Nas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss100

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
GB
Hello, I am now running the back end of the database on a Nas. (Synology)

It is now running much slower than it was on a pc.

Has anyone any tips or experience with running from a Nas that may help me speed things up?

Many thanks Mark.

What NAS? What specs? How many disks? What configuration? How is it connected? 1Gb? Through a 1 Gb capable switch? Are both the NAS and the PC physically wired to the same switch?

Hi Strongm, thanks for your time.

Synology 718+
2 x 256gb Samsung SSD
1Gb wired connection
1Gb switch (both nas and PC on same wired network)

Previously it was hosted on a PC and it ran considerably faster.

Thanks Mark

Ah, well we don't really get a NAS for speed, I'm afraid (despite manufacturer claims that they are 'speedy' and can stream 4K

Even running over 1Gb ethernet, a NAS tops out at about 130Mbs (and with other overheads this is more realistically a max of about 110Mbs). A modern local HDD can do about 200Mbs, and a fast SSD about 500Mbs. So you can see that local storage will outperform your NAS (oh, and that you are not getting the full benefits of the SSDs in the NAS). You'd need to bump up to 10Gb ethernet ...

Thanks for the input.

I have discovered that on the synology, turning opportunistic locking (on the nas) to On had doubled the speed with Access databases. Thats has been a big help. (it rather surprised me as Synology state that turning this Off will improve performance with databases??

Anyway, hopefully this may help someone else. Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back