Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running Access On a virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkaplan

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
US
I have a very old Access program (originally developed in 2003, now running under Access 2010) that expects to find certain files on the C:\ drive.

In the shop where I work, new users are now being given virtual PC's (non-persistent). Because I cannot see the c:\\ drive on these PC's, I am not able to install the files Access expects to find.

Anyway around this?

P.S.

One of these files is a reference, so I have a broken reference issue as sell.

I would say update the path information... I am assuming the pointing to C: is in code you have access to. Ultimately it is about finding a path that the Virtual Machine has that you can point to. Whether it is a network UNC or otherwise. Some working knowledge of the VM is needed here.

A thought is to retrieve built in Windows paths like the my "docs" folder or other folder. The reference gives me pause as I am not sure what or where it is. It almost sounds like there is a stand alone com installer involved that uses a non-standard directory. You should likely be able to find the program-files directory... the you can risk assuming it is installed in the default child path or go down the path of figuring out where it stores the path in the registry.

Aside, I have used odd names for the folders as this is not a solution for that topic... at least yet.

Beyond that, we would need more specifics to be specific.

Thanks, lameid.

Yes, I've thought about putting the reference on a network drive, but I was not sure if there would be consequences if multiple users accessed the file at the same time. Do you know if this is an issue?

Just FYI: the reference in question is named Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library.

At some point it was no longer included with newer versions of Access. I gave it my own name and placed it on the c:\ drive for users that were accessing the application. It's worked that way for 17 years, but now with virtual machines being rolled out, with no visible c:\ drive, it has suddenly become problematic.

Why not just use an updated DAO library... On Access 2013 I have "Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library" as the Native DAO library.

Actually, I have just been in the process of testing that solution.

So far it seems to work.

Thanks so much for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back