Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running a stored proc from a Linked Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBAWinnipeg

Programmer
Apr 14, 2004
CA
Hey everyone

ok here's the situation... I have a script on Server1 and at the end of the script I call a stored proc via linked server connection to Server2

ie) Server2.database.dbo.proc

what this proc does is BCP's in about 3 million rows of data.

It gets to about 1.2 million rows and then spits out this error:

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error. Execution terminated by the provider because a resource limit was reached.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ICommandText::Execute returned 0x80040e31: Execution terminated by the provider because a resource limit was reached.].

So my first instincts told me to check the linked server that is established and check out the ConnectionTimeOut and the QueryTimeOut... but they are both set to 0 (infinite)

Please keep in mind that the goal here is NOT to run a separate script on Server2.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

Colin in da 'Peg :)

is this any help?

indicates that the query took more time to process than the time that is specified in the remote query timeout configuration setting.

By default, in Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, the timeout setting is zero (0 - infinite wait). By default, in SQL Server 2000, the timeout setting is 600 (10 minutes).

Thanks for your help... I was looking at the linked server connections as opposed to the remote query information

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back