Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rundll32.exe Deleted. Can not open anything in control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacuflea

Technical User
Aug 8, 2001
US
When the Sircam virus hit Rundll32.exe virus softwares deleted rundll32.exe. Now i can not open up any icons in Control Panels. Any ideas how I can fix this. Thanks.

START>RUN type sfc. Follow the prompts. This will replace damaged system files. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

On some variants of the virus the RUNDLL32.EXE file is renamed to RUN32.EXE, so if you can find RUN32.EXE by booting to Dos, rename it it RUNDLL32.EXE and then try rebooting.

With rundll32.exe absent from the system, chances are sfc etc may not run securely. I personally prefer much more the extract.

At command prompt :

C:\Windows\Command>extract /y /a X:\win98\win98_22.cab /l c:\windows rundll32.exe [hard enter]

(one single line, no line wrap, watchout space and switches)
where X is your CDRom drive. Make your installation CDRom ready there too.

Depending on your system config, you may have to modify path specifications on the above commandline.

To further what butchrecon suggested, after running sfc select "extract one file", enter the file name (Rundll32.exe) and have your Windows CD handy or if you have no Windows CD enter c:\windows\options\cabs in the "restore from" field to extract it from your cab files.

If for some reason it won't extract check this: Go into start--settings--Folder Options--View tab--uncheck the box for "hide file extensions for known file types" if it's checked and then click ok. (In fact do that anyway.) Now try sfc.

One other thing, Rundll32.exe would go into your Windows folder. C:\Windows

If I'm thinking right (been up all night) the rundll is a system file ..... use a startup disk and from the A: prompt type the following; A:>sys C: <enter> this will restore the system files for you ....

blubeast, no, you are thinking wrong, this time. Nothing to do with it.

regards - tsuji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back