Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Runaway Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

briangriffin

Programmer
Nov 6, 2008
US
I have a job scheduled via SQL Server Agent that has been running successfully every 15 minutes for many months. Today a user alerted me that the resulting data seemed stale, and when I looked in the job history the most recent instance was several hours ago. There was no stop date on the job.

I tried starting it manually but got the message that it couldn't start because a prior instance of the job was currently running. I restarted the service and was able to run the job manually. I assume that the schedule will pick up again in 15 minutes.

My question is how would I have known about this problem, with no failure message and nothing in history?

job, as you saw by the message you got, was running still - on this case you can only see it on job activity monitor.
as for what the job is doing at the moment it it is a SQL step you can use sp_whoisactive ( to see what it is doing and if it has any blockers
if it is a SSIS Catalog job you can see it on the catalog.
if it is a powershell or command line job its harder unless the script/program it is running has a log of activities being done.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back