Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run Windows Update without access to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSWA

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2001
PA
Hello, I am installing 2 Windows 2K ADV SERVERS and the netwotk is private. Only these servers and PC's with Static IP will running. My question is How can I Install the Windows 2K Patches or How I download the patches and Install to the Servers, always I used the Windows Update Link to Internet.

Thanks in advance,

Marlon

If you do not allow these systems to access the Internet, then you will have to use a CD to do the updates.

You need to use a system with a CD-W capability, get on the Internet and down load all the patches into a directory, then cut a CD. Start with SP4, it is large.

The problem as I see it, is that if you do not have access to the Microsoft site, UPDATE will not scan your systems to tell you what patches are needed, so you will be guessing. Start with SP4, then add all the post SP4 patches that apply. Hard way to do it htough. :)

Good hunting,

David

Thanks David for your response, I know what is the problem with MANUALLY UPDATE. I check the Windows Update Download and it will configure to downloads the patches, when I saw the list of patches for SP4, many files are dated from 2000, 2001 and 2002.

I don't quite understand this one.

How are you going to connect to the internet to download the patches if you cannot connect to the internet to run windows update?

jatkinson,

The key here is that the network is not on the Internet, but all the patches are. You either have to get the patches on a CD from Microsoft, or you have to connect to Microsoft and get the patches, like SP4, and build your own CD, and it does not have to be a system on the "closed" network. I did not specify what system to use or what had to be done, only how to do it! Marlon will have to figure how he will get the files downloaded and on to a CD! :) Maybe at the Library there is an Internet system with a CD writer??? Or a laptop with a dialup???

The whole point is that for the Microsoft Update program to work, it has to be able to see your system and run the eveluation on it to determine what updates your target system needs. Without that access, you can only guess and manually add patches, but most are too big to do with floppy disks, you need to put them on a cd for portability. As a minimum I would recommend putting at least SP3, and probably SP4 on all the Win2k sytems to be sure the most critical patches have been installed. These can be obtained from Microsoft on CD if needed.

HTH

David

System Update Services. Is a component of 2000 Server that allows critical updates to be downloaded on the server and your local clients to hit YOUR server for them. Not terribly difficult to configure. Keep in mind this will only download the critical updates not all of the extras, those you'll still need to download manualy.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking SUS also, but if the network is to have no internet access i'm not sure it would work. I know with SUS you can download updates to a folder and then install from there to the clients. maybe you could combine the two suggestions and use SUS to update clients etc from a server running SUS that has had the relevant files copied to it from a cd or other source, that way you may be able to see what patches and service packs you are installing rather than guessing or just installing service packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back