Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Run SP-3 Install From Drive C ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRB-Bldr

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
When I installed the Win2K SP-3 on my system, I optioned for the ServicePackFiles to be kept on my hard disk.

Now I need to run SP-3 on a laptop with a modem connect to the Net. It will take forever to download the files and run the SP-3 update.

Can I move my ServicePackFiles from my desktop onto the Laptop and launch the update with them? If so, how?

Any assistance you might be able to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

That will work fine. If you have a cd burner or a zip disk put the files on that and transfer them to the laptop that way. Then just run the sp3 update executable.

Thanks for the reply.

I attempted to run the downloaded SP-3 Setup (sp3Express.exe) from the CD and it still wanted to download the upgrade programs from the Net and would not allow me to tell it to look for the programs on the CD. When the setup program was not given access to the Net, it only gave me the Retry (the Net) or Cancel as options.

Is there some other setup program to run and/or an option flag to use that will allow me to either choose to use the CD files or the Hard Disk files?

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

I suspect as you're using sp3Express.exe you're stuck with downloading again - you need to download the full (network install) version to be able to install it on multiple machines. The express version will always do a customised download/install depending on the config of system you are ruinning it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back