Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

run query from file

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyPeters

Programmer
Oct 29, 2001
US
Does anyone know if it's possible to run a query from a file? I'm trying to update a client database and don't want them to have to zip and send me the db. I'd rather send them a file that they run to make the update. It's a simple data change.

Thanks,
Jenny

If what you want to do is change values in a table what you should do is mimic their file structure of your computer and create a mdb with a linked table and create a update query and have them run the update query

JennyPeters,
If by data change you mean some type of action query you could do something like this:
[ol][li]Create a blank database to send to the client.[/li]
[li]Create a new form.[/li]
[li]Add a textbox ([tt]txtOtherDB[/tt]) that will hold the path the client's database (I leave it up to you how to get the correct path into the textbox).[/li]
[li]Add a command button ([tt]Command1[/tt]) with a variation of the following code for the on click event:
Code:
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Const sqlUpdate As String = "[b]UPDATE [i]YourTable[/i] SET [i]YourField[/i] = [i]YourValue[/i];[/b]"
Dim conUpdate As New ADODB.Connection '[b]*[/b]
With conUpdate
  .Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
  .Open [b]Me.txtOtherDB[/b]
  .Execute Me.txtSQL
End With
conUpdate.Close
Set conUpdate = Nothing
End Sub
[small]* You will need to make sure that your VBA project has a reference to one of the Microsoft ActiveX Data Object libraries.
[/small][/li]
[li]Save the form.[/li]
[li]Test the form and maybe add a little error handling to the routine.[/li]
[li]Use this form as the startup form for the database.[/li][/ol]

[tt]sqlUpdate[/tt] should accept any valid SQL commands so you can add/update/delete records. Add/Remove tables, fields, contstraints, primary/secondary keys...

If everything works correctly you should be able to send the new database to your client, they can open and select the path & filename of the database that needs the update, click the command button, and the update you send them should happen.

Hope this helps,
CMP

[small]For the best results do what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.[/small]
(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

oops!
Code:
  .Execute sqlUpdate '[red][s]Me.txtSQL[/s][/red]

CMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor